The Tech Teachers site/blog was created in May 2013 and is maintained by me, Matthew Hains.
Tech Teachers is a web site where teachers of Computer Applications Technology, Information Technology and Computer Literacy in South Africa can have access to centralised resources, materials and assessments created by teachers and shared by teachers. There is also an online Facebook forum where C.A.T. teachers can discuss class ideas, projects, challenges and proposals. The site encompasses a national community of teachers of computer subjects.
As of April 2017, a new section called STEAM has been added to the site.
How did it start?
The idea for this website came about as the result of a very large and successful Facebook group of currently nearly 700 teachers, started by myself, where CAT and IT teachers were able to connect online and share resources and information with each other via shared cloud-based folders.
Soon it became evident that a Facebook group would not be sufficient to meet the needs of teachers who were not all necessarily on Facebook or had access to cloud-storage facilities.
The willingness of teachers to gladly contribute content to the cloud was overwhelming! And so, the Tech Teachers web site, consisting of hundreds of CAT teachers country-wide, was created to facilitate and champion the technology subjects we are passionate about.
The purpose of the site
- Pool and share resources with teachers from all over the country
- A forum for teachers to interact with each other
- A secure ‘members-only’ environment to share materials amongst professionals
- A community for teachers teaching Computer Applications Technology and STEAM
- Assist with course development and teacher training
- Engage with a national community of teachers
- Promote online collaboration between colleagues with the aim of working together to critique assessments and create materials and resources together