A little bit about me
My name is Matthew Hains. I am married and have four children, who my wife and I homeschool. I also enjoy playing drums when I get the chance and used to teach drumming, West African and contemporary percussion overseas.
I have been a teacher for 16 years. Computer Applications Technology is a subject I am most passionate about and I thoroughly enjoy teaching it. I have won awards and been to many prestigious events as a speaker and guest.
I received the Microsoft Innovative Educator nomination from Microsoft and am also a Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert since 2016. I've been a sub-examiner and Chief marker for Grade 12 C.A.T. for the last three years. I am presently the Gauteng Regional and the National C.A.T. Moderator for the IEB.
Below is all the official info if you really want to know more!
- Teacher : STEAM, ICT and Computer Applications Technology
- Gauteng Regional & National IEB Moderator – C.A.T PAT & SBA (2016 & 2017)
- Senior-Examiner Marker - Gr12 C.A.T. NSC Paper 2 (2017)
- National Teacher Conference convener – C.A.T. (2017)
- Cluster Leader (2016)
- Gauteng Subject Forum Representative C.A.T. (2014 & 2016)
- Senior-Examiner Marker – Gr12 C.A.T. NSC Paper 2 (2016)
- Sub-Examiner Marker – Gr12 C.A.T. NSC Paper 1 & Paper 2 (2015)
Press & Media
- MIEExpert Spotlight #25: Matthew Hains – Schoolnet, Apr 2017
- Microsoft Virtual Academy Webinar : Digital Civility, Feb 2017
- “Microsoft MIE Experts bound for Canada” – Schoolnet, Feb 2017
- “Tech Teacher heads for summit” – Benoni City Times, Feb. 2017
- “He’s now a super teacher” – Benoni City Times, Oct. 2015
- Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert (2017/18)
- Attendee as 1 of 5 (out of 135 teachers countrywide) at the Microsoft E2 Exchange in Toronto, Canada (2017)
- Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert (2016/17)
- CozaCares/ISPA Tech Teacher of the Year Winner (2015)
- This blog!
Speaker & Workshops
- Speaker at EduTECH Africa (2017)
- Speaker at SchoolNet SA Conference 2017
- Presenter at TeachMeet, Brescia House on Hacking coding (2017)
- Workshop speaker at “TeachMeet” at Brescia House on Google Classroom (2017)
- IEB National Teacher Conference – Computer Applications Technology (2017)
- Teach! Conference – Kingswood College, Grahamstown (September 2016) [pdf]
- IEB National Teacher Conference – Computer Applications Technology (2016)
- InSITE Conference – Tampa, Florida USA (2015)
- Study Opportunities IT & Delphi Day : Pretoria (2015)
- IEB National Teacher Conference – Computer Applications Technology (2015)
- IEB National Teacher Conference – Computer Applications Technology (2014)