Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice on: Marking Gauteng Prelim 2018 P1
Resolved - 1 mark for link

Ok, so I know not many people use the forum, but this is the perfect place to discuss marking a specific exam - what do we award marks for and what not. So here goes the first question:
Q2.9 - question asked "Insert the 2Standing file found in your examination folder as a link at the top of the last page. Ensure that the link displays as an icon."

Would inserting a hyperlink to this file, qualify for a mark? My instinct says no, but I just want to check I'm not being unfair? It is afterall a very fine difference in the phrasing of the question - insert a link to the file vs insert the file as a link...
Resolved - no mark

Ok, next one. Q 5.2. If the learner inserted a new combo box and labelled it Event but never linked it to the Event field again (see Control Source at the top) do they get the mark for changing it to a combo box? Technically they didn't change it I guess?
[Image: Form_question.jpg]
Resolved - mark awarded

Q6.2 <h1> <p align="center">Medal Standings</p> </h1>

Should have aligned h1, but learner obviously forgot that. This works though (i.t.o. output). Does he get the mark?
The learner still applied a Centering attribute to the content. It's perfect. Definitely award the mark. This thinking is good.

Matthew Hains
Tech Teachers - Blog and Resources for CAT teachers
Question 2.9 The first mark can be allocated for any link to the file, but not the second mark which is for the icon.

Question 5.2 No, it is a different skill to change to and insert a combo box.

Question 6.2 Yes, mark can be allocated.
What is the total mark allocation?

I think it would depend on how the question is asked, and the marks allocated. This question is vague so the link is fine, the second part, the icon should be the 2nd mark. I would give one mark for the link. But if the question is one mark, then the student cannot get the mark, because the 2nd part implies that an OLE link should be inserted.
Thank you all for responding! (@Bev - it was 2 marks)
Unresolved

Question on 3.3: Each country needs a unique code to receive their overall final results.
Use a formula in cell B6 to create this unique code by using the following instructions:
* The abbreviation of the country (column C); followed by
* the '@' sign; followed by
* the total number of gold medals for the country (column G).
EXAMPLE: AUS@80

Data in C6: Bangladesh (BAN)

Is it acceptable if learner used building blocks and first extracted =Right(C6,4) in R6 then from that cell =Left(R6,3) to get the 3 letter abbreviation? Not very elegant but it will deliver the result in every situation. The exam doesn't specify that the abbreviation would always be 3 letters long, but we allow that assumption based on the data in the original memo answer anyway.

Also found a learner who used the same method in a single cell: =LEFT(RIGHT(C6,4),3)&"@"&G6
Resolved - wouldn't be penalised in finals because question didn't specify that it should be copied down. Worth it to penalise in class though, because the logic is a bit faulty

Still re 3.3, but also applies to 3.5 -
If a learner uses building blocks for a function that is applied to a row (such as both these), the building blocks should ideally stay in that row so that it could be copied down to other records. Should they be penalised if this isn't the case? So they do the 3 building blocks or whatever in one column over 3 rows instead of in one row over 3 columns (and thus wouldn't work if you copy it down).
(30-08-2018, 20:02)ClaireS Wrote: Ok, so I know not many people use the forum, but this is the perfect place to discuss marking a specific exam - what do we award marks for and what not. So here goes the first question:
Q2.9 - question asked "Insert the 2Standing file found in your examination folder as a link at the top of the last page. Ensure that the link displays as an icon."

Would inserting a hyperlink to this file, qualify for a mark? My instinct says no, but I just want to check I'm not being unfair? It is afterall a very fine difference in the phrasing of the question - insert a link to the file vs insert the file as a link...

I hate this question and it pops up all the time. I don't award the mark for a hyperlink. I think the question makes it clear what is required.

If the Learner inserted an icon (or small image) and hyperlinked it to the file it would be one thing. I am assuming there is no suitable icon image supplied in the exam folder so the wording and the lack of a suitable icon should point the Learner to the correct answer - if they are aware of the Paste Special feature to do so.

(30-08-2018, 21:05)ClaireS Wrote: Q6.2 <h1> <p align="center">Medal Standings</p> </h1>

Should have aligned h1, but learner obviously forgot that. This works though (i.t.o. output). Does he get the mark?

AAAAAAACK!

I worked as a web developer for years and the HTML we are teaching hurts my eyes.

<h1> is a heading - syntactically and structurally it cannot then contain a paragraph. Each is an element with structural significance.

Plus the Learner should know that the attribute can be used on the <h1> tag.

Yes it might render, but then that does not make it correct.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fast marking tips Practical ClaireS 1 947 09-11-2017, 17:40
Last Post: Moyna
  Marking Excel IF ClaireS 3 645 15-09-2017, 19:00
Last Post: Matt
  Marking HTML ClaireS 2 524 12-09-2017, 08:36
Last Post: Verona