Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk about the PAT!!!
The PAT is always a point of contention with many teachers. Let's talk about it here.

What should we change?
What is not working?
What can we improve?
What should take out?
What should we, if we need to, add in?
Why is the PAT an issue for so many teachers?

Matthew Hains
Tech Teachers
(14-09-2018, 07:58)Matthew Wrote: The PAT is always a point of contention with many teachers. Let's talk about it here.

What should we change?
What is not working?
What can we improve?
What should take out?
What should we, if we need to, add in?
Why is the PAT an issue for so many teachers?

I really like the Pat - I think it prepares them for research work at university level. I just wish in phase 1 they didn't have to list there sources in a table but actually put it into the bibliography function. Just seems pointless in table - they could still summarise there info and evaluate in a table.
(DBE PAT)
I think the reason the PAT is an issue for so many people is because of the tremendous workload it adds and lack of contact time with learners. Personally I do 99% of the PAT after hours and still I barely manage to complete all the practical & theory in class - don't know how on earth other teachers manage to do the PAT, prac & theory in school hours. Only solution to this would be to reduce the topics in the curriculum but that doesn't seem likely to happen (looking at the revision of the CAPS - more items were added than removed).

The one thing I think really doesn't work and needs to be either taken out or reworked, is the research questions in Phase 1. I know this is the proper way of doing research, but if learners ask the questions first, they end up with 10 different sources. So, my only solution is to first find 3 good sources then ask the questions - but this actually defeats the whole purpose.

I think using the questionnaire data in Access is also not ideal. I would love if learners were supplied with data for their database (with a substantial amount of records). This would result in much better quality work in Access - especially for queries.

I think conditional formatting should be added in Excel (and awarded a mark) and neat HTML coding should also be awarded a mark.
(14-09-2018, 17:54)Che Marneweck Wrote: I really like the Pat - I think it prepares them for research work at university level. I just wish in phase 1 they didn't have to list there sources in a table but actually put it into the bibliography function. Just seems pointless in table - they could still summarise there info and evaluate in a table.
I do this already - have the go-ahead from the DBE. I let them add the sources electronically immediately and they only paste a screenshot of the source info in the table.
I feel the topics are problematic for even the average Learner. Don't get me wrong: I think the topics are exciting and relevant (AR, IoT, Future Job Market, etc), however, a topic such as potholes is far easier to handle and offers the opportunity for data that is more appropriate for analysis: how many potholes in 100m of tar, how large are the potholes; how fast do they grow, etc.

It would be nice to have a choice of topics each time to offer an alternative for the average Learner - even though this makes marking more difficult.
There are not enough hours in a day to complete the syllabus, as well as the PAT, in less than 6 months.

My student and I will be spending time at school during the holidays, in order for him to complete this mammoth task.

Although the PAT is a brilliant way to combine skills learned and tool to prepare learners for what they will be facing at university, I feel that they are not always mentally 'grown-up' and experienced enough to cope with the level of what is asked of them in this limited time frame. I will, however, concede that it might boost the mark of a weaker learner.

I disagree with phase 3 of the IEB PAT, as it is not teaching the learners to draw up a professional report of their findings (as is required by the DBE). I see no value in putting together a document in which you have to explain the process followed to complete steps in each phase, e.g. "I used the Internet but then discovered that I needed to do a survey".

There's no escaping the PAT, at the end of the day we push through and do what we have to do.